Sunday, September 26, 2010

GuruPlug Plus Gets a New OS

I won't bore you with the details of what a GuruPlug Plus is all about since it's been widely discussed in the media since the beginning of 2010.  But let's just say that Globalscale Technologies has had a few issue delivering on their promise.  Although the plug started shipping in April, the plugs had overheating problems when both ethernet connections were used at 1Gb/s.  This was only fixed in the production models recently and started shipping to customers in September.

So, having my plug finally in hand, I'm setting out to do a few upgrades and make it useful for my purposes.  This will include uboot update, kernel update, and OS update.  I'm going to take the same route as Paul Whalen with his blog post on putting Fedora 12 on a micro SDHC card for the root filesystem.

In creating the root filesystem on the SDHC, I would recommend one thing to amend Paul's instructions with.  Rather than a "cp -r" I would also use the "-a" option to preserve the mode, owenership, and timestamps of the files being copied.

I did want to create a LVM volume group and logical volume and mount it so that I'd have more flexibility in resizing the filesystems if needed.  However, it appears that the default kernel has no LVM capabilities.  So for now, I'll just stick to a partition for the root filesystem.

No comments:

Post a Comment